Table of Contents
Learn the shocking reasons why submental fat is so hard to get rid of
Double chin or submental fat is a common problem affecting people of all ages worldwide. Although it is not necessarily a sign of bad health, it becomes more prominent over time and appears like a folded wrinkle. It makes the chin look bulky and can bring down your self-esteem. Read through this guide to the causes and treatments of a double chin.
- Submental fat, also known as a double chin, is the fat that accumulates underneath the chin and around the neck. It is a common concern for many people, as it can create an appearance of heaviness or fullness in the lower face. Although it can occur at any age, it becomes more prominent in people aged 30. However, it is not a medical condition caused by any underlying disease.
Submental fat can be challenging to eliminate because it is either resistant or responds slowly to diet and exercise. This is because the fat in this area is genetically predetermined and can be influenced by aging, hormonal changes, and weight gain. Additionally, the skin around the chin and neck area is thin and can lose elasticity over time, which can further contribute to the appearance of a double chin.
Causes Of Submental Fat
- While submental fat is usually associated with weight gain, this is not the only cause. Numerous factors can lead to the development of submental fat. Let us take a look at them.
- The most common cause of submental fat is the presence of extra fat in the body. When we consume more food than our daily caloric requirement, the body stores the extra calories as fat. Fat manifests itself in different areas of the body. The face and the area under the chin are common areas of excess fat deposition.
- Genetics also plays a part in the development of double chins. Some people have a greater genetic tendency to store fat in the submental region or area below the chin. If one of the family members has a history of developing a double chin towards their mid-30s or 40s, you will too. The face is one of the most prominent areas that cannot be concealed. Hence, appropriate treatment is crucial.
- Aging causes a gradual loss of collagen and elastin from the skin. These two naturally occurring proteins in the skin keep the skin tight and firm. However, as we age, the skin’s ability to remain taut decreases along with collagen and elastin production. As a result, the skin starts to become loose and limp. In addition, when the skin under the jaw sags, it gives the appearance of extra fat under the chin.
- Although various treatments are available for submental fat, including CoolSculpting, and radiofrequency treatments, Kybella treatment is the most effective non-surgical approach for treating double chin. Kybella is a non-surgical and FDA-approved treatment using deoxycholic acid to remove subcutaneous fat under the chin. It uses the synthetic form of deoxycholic acid to break down fat cells in the submental region.
Treatment with kybella has shown excellent results in improving the appearance and giving you a chiseled jawline and chin. It is an effective and painless treatment that can treat moderate to severe submental fat. Kybella effectively dissolves fat under the chin and in the jawline, legs, arms, and abdominal region. However, consulting with a qualified medical professional is essential to determine the most appropriate treatment plan based on individual needs and goals.
Get in touch with Alladerm for all sorts of cosmetic procedures. At Alladerm, we offer Kybella treatment at reasonable rates. For more information, call us at 949-916-7166. We are located in Aliso Viejo, CA.