Table of Contents
Why laser hair removal sessions are worth every penny
Using razors, waxing, or depilatory creams is a constant battle to keep unwanted hair at bay. Laser hair removal has become a popular solution for individuals seeking a more permanent choice. However, as you prepare for your journey to smoother, hair-free skin, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Follow these tips to prepare for your first laser hair removal session and get the best results and a comfortable experience.
Shave The Area
- Laser hair removal delivers the best results when the hair is closely shaved to the skin’s surface. Therefore, avoiding methods that remove the hair from the root is crucial. In addition, refrain from waxing, tweezing, threading, chemical epilation, microneedling, and similar procedures for at least three weeks before your scheduled treatment.
Furthermore, shaving the treatment area within 12-24 hours before your appointment is advisable. This approach allows the laser to precisely target the hair follicles without burning the hair on the skin’s surface, ensuring a more effective and comfortable experience.
Minimize Sun Exposure
- It is crucial to minimize sun exposure before your laser hair removal session. Sun exposure refers to spending more than 30 minutes outdoors in direct sunlight. If sun exposure cannot be avoided, take measures to protect your skin, such as wearing wide-brimmed hats and long-sleeved clothing, and apply sunscreen containing zinc oxide.
Prolonged sun exposure can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment because the laser may have difficulty distinguishing between the pigment in the hair and the pigment in the skin. Refraining from sun exposure for at least one week before your laser hair removal appointment is advisable.
Caution With Acne Medications
- If you are currently using acne medications like Accutane or similar treatments , it is crucial to inform your laser hair removal provider before your appointment. Accutane, or isotretinoin, is a potent medication for severe acne.
It can cause the skin to become dry, red, and increase sensitivity to laser treatments. Undergoing laser hair removal while on Accutane or similar medications is not advisable due to the increased risk of adverse skin reactions, including burns, blisters, or scarring.
Avoid Taking Antibiotics
- Some antibiotics, including tetracycline and doxycycline, can increase your skin’s sensitivity to sunlight and may lead to adverse reactions when exposed to the laser. Taking these precautionary steps before your laser hair removal session is essential for achieving the best results while minimizing potential risks. Whether it involves preparing your skin, refraining from certain products, or being mindful of medications, thorough preparation is essential in ensuring a successful and safe laser hair removal experience.
In addition, in the week before your laser hair removal session, be cautious with certain products and treatments to ensure optimal results and minimize the risk of skin irritation. Refrain from using any products that contain retinoids/retinol, alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs), glycolic acid, salicylic acid, Vitamin C, and hydroquinone. These ingredients can increase skin sensitivity and the likelihood of irritation,
Prioritize Skin Cleansing
- Prioritizing skin cleansing is essential before your laser hair removal appointment. Clean, oil-free skin helps the laser to effectively penetrate hair follicles without the interference of dirt, oil, or makeup. Use a mild and gentle cleanser to cleanse the treatment area. Avoid using harsh or abrasive scrubs, as they may induce skin irritation.
Remove any makeup, lotions, creams, or oils from the treatment zone. These substances can form a barrier that potentially hinders the laser’s ability to target hair follicles, leading to undesired outcomes like burns or changes in skin pigmentation.
Are you looking for a convenient and pain-free hair removal solution? Then, book your laser hair removal appointment with Alladerm. We provide laser hair removal services at reasonable costs. Call us at (949) 916-7166. Our clinic is located in Aliso.