Table of Contents
Who else wants flawless skin? 6 strategies for phenomenal chemical peel results!
Chemical peels are a highly effective treatment for a range of skin issues. They can effectively address concerns such as acne scars, hyperpigmentation, uneven skin texture, and fine lines. Although chemical peels can result in notable improvements, there are a few key strategies to enhance your chemical peel results. Keep reading to learn the secrets to achieving your best complexion.
Prepare Your Skin with a Retinol Routine
- A nightly routine with retinol clears your skin and reduces wrinkles by encouraging cell turnover. In addition, it also optimizes the benefits of a chemical peel. It works by thinning the top skin layer, resulting in more profound and evenly distributed results. However, selecting a clinically proven product with the right retinol concentration is important for desired outcomes.
Pre-Treatment Skin Protection
To protect your skin before the treatment, there are crucial steps to follow during the 7-10 days before your appointment. Here is what you need to do:
- Avoid going out in direct sunlight.
- Apply sunscreen with an SPF rating of at least 30 each day.
- Discontinue using scrubs and avoid skincare ingredients that exfoliate, like salicylic acid, BHA, or AHA.
- Quit taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or any medications as your aesthetician advises, which may include prescribed drugs.
- Avoid facial waxing, and if necessary, refrain from shaving on the day of the peel.
- Do not use any self-tanning products during this period.
Strategies to Enhance Post-Treatment Results
- Caring for your skin during the healing period is crucial for long-lasting and promising results. It is important to keep the skin clean and hydrated and follow all the post-treatment instructions. After a chemical peel, your skin becomes particularly sensitive to sun and environmental damage, making it essential to apply SPF even indoors.
Here’s what you should do:
1. Use a High-SPF sunscreen
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 50. Although SPF 30 is sufficient for daily use, increased protection is advisable after a peel. A range of non-irritating, non-greasy formulas are available for post-procedure use. Cover your face and neck with a generous amount of sunscreen.
2. Wear Protective Sunwear
- Wear hats, clothing, and fabrics with UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) ratings to limit sun exposure. The Skin Cancer Foundation suggests wide-brimmed hats for daily use with a brim of 3 inches or more.
3. Use Antioxidants
- Incorporate antioxidants like vitamin C into your skincare routine to counteract free radical damage from UV rays.
4. Choose Timing Wisely
- Plan your peel when you expect to spend most of your time indoors. Scheduling chemical peels during colder months or when outdoor activities are limited simplifies skin protection, especially if undergoing a series of treatments for optimal results.
5. Regular Treatment Sessions
- While a single chemical peel can enhance your skin’s tone and texture, a series of treatments helps preserve and enhance your results. If you aim to address more significant skin issues or optimize the advantages of your chemical peel, opt for a series of three sessions.
6. Avoid Peeling Your Skin
- Following deeper peels, it’s common for dead skin cells to start shedding, revealing a brighter and more evenly toned layer beneath. Although you may be tempted to scrub off these flakes, it is crucial to allow them to come off naturally. Attempting to pick at your skin may disrupt the healing process, potentially prolong it, and even lead to the development of scars.
Revitalize your skin with a chemical peel treatment. At Alladerm, your chemical peel is customized to ensure you get the most benefits from treatment. Book your appointments at (949) 916-7166 to consult a reliable esthetician to determine the best type of peel for your skin. We are located in Aliso Viejo, CA.