Table of Contents
Conquer chills, not flakes – 7 powerful ways to prevent dry skin this winter
Cold weather and dry winter air can adversely affect your skin, causing itching, redness, and irritation. Cold temperatures also lead to a dull complexion. However, you can follow simple techniques to protect your skin from winter dryness and address the effects of changing weather. Keep reading to discover proven tips to prevent dry skin this winter.
- When you wash your face, hands, or body, you strip away natural oils crucial for locking in moisture. Make moisturizing a habit after washing your face, particularly during winter, to replenish natural oils.
Keep a moisturizer bottle next to your sink for easy access. For those on the move, a travel-size moisturizer ensures you can pamper your skin wherever you go.
Daily Sunscreen Application
- Despite reduced sunlight in winter, harmful UV rays stress your skin’s moisture barrier crucial for overall health and hydration. Make it a routine to apply sunscreen each morning after your moisturizer.
Opt for a sunscreen with at least SPF 30, as the American Academy of Dermatology Association recommends. This helps guard your skin against winter sun exposure for a healthy, radiant complexion.
- Another technique to combat dry skin is overnight treatments. Emollients, known for their moisturizing power, provide an excellent solution. Due to their heavier consistency, these creams may take longer to be absorbed into your skin.
Apply an emollient before bedtime, allowing your skin sufficient time to absorb the treatment and replenish itself with the necessary moisture and oils. Use plastic bags or gloves to prevent the emollient from transferring onto sheets or bed covers during hand or foot treatments.
Gentle Winter Care
- Dry winter air can cause increased sensitivity or irritation. Simplify your routine by focusing on essentials. In the morning, opt for a moisturizer and sunscreen, while the evening routine can involve a gentle cleanser paired with a moisturizer. Once your skin’s moisture barrier is restored, gradually reintroduce additional treatments and ingredients for a well-rounded skincare routine.
Install a Humidifier
- Combat winter dryness by installing a humidifier in your living space. The air becomes dry as indoor heating intensifies during colder months, impacting your skin’s moisture levels. A humidifier proves valuable for reintroducing much-needed moisture into the air.
This increase in humidity acts as a natural moisturizing agent, effectively preventing and alleviating skin dryness. Harvard Health Publishing suggests maintaining a humidifier setting around 60 percent in winter, ensuring moisture replenishment in the top layer of your skin.
- While exfoliation is beneficial for maintaining smooth and vibrant skin, it’s crucial to strike the right balance. Over-exfoliation can lead to adverse effects, whether too frequent or with harsh products. If you notice dryness or flakiness, consider opting for a gentle chemical exfoliant rather than a physical scrub.
Harsher scrubs with large particles compromise your skin’s moisture barrier and potentially cause damage. If your skin is currently cracked, raw, or irritated, it’s advisable to abstain from exfoliation until your skin has fully healed. Prioritize a gentle approach to exfoliation for a healthier and more resilient complexion.
Opt for Oxygen Facial
- Intraceutical facial treatments use light pressure to efficiently deliver oxygen deep into the skin. Studies suggest sufficient oxygen in skin tissue produces the desirable effects we all long for. More oxygen available to cells helps retain and increase moisture in the skin, reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. This results in glowing, firm, and radiant skin.
Say goodbye to dull and dry skin with our customized intraceutical oxygen facial. Contact Alladerm to revive your skin and protect it from damage with our range of cosmetic treatments. Call us at (949) 916-7166. We are located in Aliso Viejo, CA.