Discover about the causes and treatments of double chins, as well as how they may increase your confidence
The double chin or submental fat is a common problem affecting people of all ages worldwide. Although it is not necessarily a sign of bad health, it can still bring down your self-esteem and affect your social life. Read through this guide to the causes and treatments of a double chin.
Causes Of Double Chin
- The exact cause of double chin cannot be determined. However, genetics, age, weight gain, and bad posture are considered some of the major contributors to the development of double chin.
- Aging causes a gradual loss of collagen and elastin from our skin. These two naturally occurring proteins in the skin keep the skin tight and firm. However, as we age, the skin’s ability to remain taut decreases along with collagen and elastin production.
As a result, skin starts to become loose and droopy. When the skin under the jaw sags, it gives the appearance of extra fat under the chin, even though it may not necessarily be fat but rather just skin that has become loose.
- The most common cause of double chin is the presence of extra fat in the body. When we consume more food than our daily caloric requirement, the body stores the extra calories in the form of fat. Fat manifests itself in different areas of the body. The face and the area under the chin are common areas of excess fat deposition.
Some people have a greater genetic tendency to store fat in the submental region or area below the chin. The face is one of the most prominent areas that cannot be concealed. Hence, a double chin due to weight gain should be rectified through a controlled diet and appropriate treatment.
- Poor posture habits such as craning and straining the neck or bending it forward quite often can cause the development of a double chin. Poor posture causes the platysma muscles to become weak. These muscles connect our neck to the chin.
When platysma muscles are weakened, they lose elasticity, and the skin around the jaws and chin starts to sag. Poor posture also causes neck pain. Therefore, it is advisable not to crane your neck too much while straining to read from your phone or laptop.
- Maintaining a healthy weight, correcting your posture, and regular anti-aging serums can delay having a double chin. However, in some instances, the double chin persists despite good health.
In such cases, the best thing to do is to opt for cosmetic dermatologic treatments. The best among these treatments is Kybella which offers promising results.
- It is a non-surgical and FDA-approved treatment that uses deoxycholic acid to remove subcutaneous fat formed under the chin. Kybella uses the synthetic form of deoxycholic acid to break down fat cells in the submental region. Treatment with kybella has shown excellent results in improving the appearance and giving you a chiseled jawline and chin.
It is an effective and painless treatment that can treat moderate to severe submental fat. Kybella effectively dissolves fat under the chin and in the jawline, legs, arms, and abdominal region.
Other Treatment Options
- The use of facial moisturizers containing certain vitamins and botanical extracts that help to tighten up your skin, thereby reducing the appearance of a double chin.
- Neck massagers are designed to stimulate collagen production and reduce the presence of fat under the chin.
- A combination of targeted exercises and weight-loss diets are some of the other useful ways of getting rid of a double chin.
At Alladerm, we offer long-lasting Kybella treatment at reasonable rates. Call us at 949 916 7166. We are operating in Aliso Viejo, CA, and nearby areas.